A quick note about this site: I use this blog as a vehicle to make new professional contacts. Since you've taken the time to read this far- why not contact me via Calendly?
Hi! I'm Rick, a 35 year old software developer from the Chicago suburbs. This is my blog. It focuses mostly on Open Source technology. I have 10 years of professional software development experience, as well as hobbyist involvement dating back to my childhood in the late 90's (an experience which led to my current interest in computer history).
I currently work at Qualia Labs, a real-estate technology startup that fixes everything that is wrong with home purchases.
I previously served as the co-founder and the lead software developer at FarmBot, the world's first Open Source farming machine. I helped build the initial software prototype for early versions and oversaw most day-to-day software activities at FarmBot.
Prior to that, I worked on projects for medical payment processing, textile manufacturers, hospitality management services, non-profits, the military, and a list of consulting clients that are too numerous to name. My public work is available on my Github page.
My interest in hardware and software also led me to start Fox.Build Makerspace in St. Charles, Illinois. It's a public workshop catering to the needs of artist, entrepreneurs and engineers. If you are ever in the Chicago suburbs, feel free to stop by during one of our many events.
When I am not running the makerspace or building software at FarmBot, I enjoy ultra-distance marathon running and learning about the history of computing. I am an avid retrocomputing hobbyist. I am also obsessed with the Forth programming language.
Mentions and Appearances
- 2014: Out in the Open: This Farmbot Makes Growing Food as Easy as Playing Farmville
- 2015: Ruby Conf 2015 Lightning Talk
- 2016: Fox.Build finds right 'vibe' in St. Charles
- 2016: New Makerspace Opens in Saint Charles
- 2017: Edible Innovations: FarmBot Helps Automate Small-Scale Food Production
- 2017: EuroForth Lightning talk about FarmBot 2017: (German) Forth Dimensions magazine entry
- 2019: (politics, sorry.) How St. Charles' decision on pot sales could affect medical dispensary
- 2020: Fox.Build: Unmodulated Podcast
- 2021: Short interview on "Conversations in AI" (YouTube Channel)
- 2021: Served as technical editor for the book "React JS Foundations" (published by Wiley Publication).