Hi! I'm Rick, a 33 year old software developer from the Chicago suburbs. This is my blog. It focuses mostly on technology, usually the Open Source kind. I have 8 years of professional software development experience, as well as hobbyist involvement dating back to the late 90's.
Currently, I am working as a cofounder and lead developer at FarmBot, the world's first Open Source farming machine. I helped build the initial software prototype for early versions as well as the supporting infrastructure, APIs, databases and user interfaces for the commercial versions sold today. My current work at FarmBot focuses on new feature development, server maintenance (sometimes called "Dev Ops"), database administration, API development and helping community members.
In the past, I've worked on projects for medical payment processing, textile manufacturers, hospitality management services, non-profits, the military, and a list of consulting clients that are too numerous to name. My public work is available on my Github page.
My interest in hardware and software also led me to start Fox.Build Makerspace in St. Charles, Illinois. It's a public workshop catering to the needs of artist, entrepreneurs and engineers. If you are ever in the Chicago suburbs, feel free to stop by during one of our many events.
- (2014) Out in the Open: This Farmbot Makes Growing Food as Easy as Playing Farmville
- (2015) Ruby Conf 2015 Lightning Talk
- (2016) Fox.Build finds right 'vibe' in St. Charles
- (2016) New Makerspace Opens in Saint Charles
- (2017) EuroForth Lightning talk about FarmBot
- (2019 / politics) How St. Charles' decision on pot sales could affect medical dispensary